Beacon Health is proving with the right tools and mentality we can transform healthcare to not only meets the needs of our patients and community but we can do it while saving money. On behalf of our partners, Eastern Maine Medical Center, Inland Hospital, Maine Coast Memorial Hospital, Mercy Hospital, and The Aroostook Medical Center, Beacon Health is participating in Medicare’s Next Generation Accountable Care Organization (ACO). This model offers us a new opportunity in accountable care—one that enables providers and patients greater opportunities to coordinate care, and allow care teams to continue to provide personalized highest quality of care.
View the list of 2017 Participating Next Generation Providers
Nextgen Preferred Provider Search
View the Preferred Provider List
What should our healthcare experience feel like for you our patients?
- Personalized, consistent care that is evidence-based and efficient.
- You and your caregivers will have a team surrounding and supporting you, no matter where you receive care across the Beacon Health integrated network.Your team includes doctors, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, care coordinators, nurses, medical assistants, pharmacists, and others proactively delivering care.
- You will receive consistent, coordinated care and communication, and your team will help arrange for specialty care whenever it is needed. For example, if you are hospitalized, this team will make contact when you get home from the hospital and answer any questions about next steps. Or, as another example, if you are living with diabetes and go to the emergency department to get blood glucose levels under control you would be contacted by a care coordinator to help manage medications and stabilize your condition.
You are in good hands, the Beacon Health network is a national leader in delivering some of the highest quality care that includes patient satisfaction. The Next Generation program will allow us to build upon our experience in the Medicare Pioneer Program.
Collectively for the past four years, our network of primary care providers have shifted to a more team-based approach to care delivery that focuses on being more proactive and supporting patients living their healthiest, not just caring for you when you are sick. Providers across Beacon Health are driving these changes to enhance the care they offer their patients and community.
Next Generation Population Health and Performance Improvement Committee Members
Beacon Health doctors, hospitals, and other healthcare providers and suppliers work together to engage patients and provide coordinated, high-quality care at a lower cost. Our patients, along with their providers and care teams, are true partners in care. Patients have better control over their healthcare, and providers will have better information about their patients’ medical history and better relationships with patients’ other providers.
By participating in the Next Generation ACO program, Beacon Health providers will be piloting new better, more efficient ways to support our patients getting the right care, at the right time, in the right place. For example:
- 3-day Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) Rule Waiver: Under current Medicare law, Medicare only covers care in a SNF if a patient has a prior three-day inpatient hospital stay. This new feature may allow you to get Medicare covered SNF services at a participating SNF without a mandatory three-day inpatient hospital stay. Participating Skilled Nursing Facilities.
- Post-Discharge Home Visits: Beacon Health is expanding its post-discharge service to provide more comprehensive follow-up care at home after discharge from a hospital to help with the sometimes challenging transition between the hospital and home.
- Telehealth Expansion: Beacon Health is expanding telehealth services allowing you to receive some healthcare services using real-time communication between you and your primary care provider or specialist.
You can learn more about these initiatives by visiting the following web page: http://innovation.cms.gov/initiatives/Next-Generation-ACO-Model/
Questions or Concerns?
If you have any questions about Beacon Health or the Next Generation ACO Model, you can ask your provider, by calling Beacon Health at 1-207-973-9629, contact your local State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP), or contact Medicare at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048.